- Installation of strip flooring – any width from 65mm wide to 240mm wide. All timber species
- Installation of recycled or second hand flooring
- Installation of parquetry flooring, any pattern with borders if required
- Installation of stair treads and risers onto concrete stairs or steel stairs
- Any finishing off details e.g. - skirting boards, scotia, underlay, trims, quad mouldings, thresholds, doors cut down, caulking
- Patching in of old floorboards
Timber flooring is a quite expensive part of renovation. Now, you can see on TV multiple TV programs about DIY renovation.
It is always good to think twice before you start timber flooring installation yourself. We have seen many cases when people were in trouble because they had overestimated their expertise and ability, wasted time and money and only after called professional timber flooring installers for help.
Our first professional advise:
HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT TYPE OF FLOORING
You should know your budget. The amount of money you can afford to spent on your new flooring. There is a great range in flooring prices:
- One of the cheapest types of flooring is laminate. Laminate flooring is a relatively inexpensive substitute to timber flooring. It is ideal to put laminate in properties for rent, commercial sites and active areas with a high traffic. It is a low maintenance and still good looking kind of flooring.
- Bamboo floor is a great alternative to timber flooring within a quite moderate price range.
- Solid Hardwood flooring is an expensive type of timber flooring. On the other hand, solid hardwood floors will add irresistible charm and convenience to your home and could increase the value of your property. Prefinished solid timber flooring is less expensive option for hardwood flooring as it does not need sanding and polishing. Another cheaper option is engineered hardwood floating floor.
- Parquetry is the most expensive and simultaneously the most luxurious looking timber flooring. Traditionally parquetry is associated with wellbeing and prosperity.
Tips: If you are going DIY (Do It Yourself), please do not buy expensive material; come to nothing more than laminate or bamboo floor. You should understand that you cannot be professional in everything and expensive timber flooring and parquetry need professional installation.
After you defined your budget allowance, you can choose the color of flooring. Some customers prefer to choose the color first and only after start thinking about the amount of money they are going to spend. This is not very good approach as there is no difficulties to find appropriate flooring within the color range you need. Please see our table of timber flooring species compounded into 3 groups: Yellows, Browns and Reds or you can use our Search by Colour
If you prefer hardwood timber flooring there are 3 grades:
- Select: This grade limits the inclusion of many natural features or imperfections and it has a clean modern appearance.
- Standard grade: A grade which allows an increased variety of outstanding natural features including gum veins, insect markings and knots compared to Select Grade.
- Natural (Feature) grade flooring has a variety of natural features including knots, gum veins and insect holes, creating a floor full of old world charm at a very affordable best price.
Tips: Select grade is the most expensive. So, if you are not going to pay that much money, just prefer Standard or Natural grade and ask our professionals to make your floors look better. I promise they could do that without extra charge.
Janka rating is another important factor, especially if you are going to lay wooden floors in properties for rent, commercial sites and active areas with a lot of traffic. The higher the Janka, the harder the wood. Please see our Janka rating table here.
Generally, there is gloss, semi-gloss, satin and matte finishes. In general, there are so many products on the market with different features that it is better to speak to professionals for final advice.
Tips: You can buy pre-finished solid timber flooring which does not need sanding and polishing. That can save you some money.
Usually we recommend to order 5% more for off-cuts. In case, you desire to do diagonal or complicated shape of flooring, please order 10% more.
Tips: you can ask your supplier to give a refund for any not used material if it is in not opened boxes. Keep in mind to ask before purchase.
Areas where we install timber flooring:
Moreton Bay Region Urban
Moreton Bay Region Rural
Redland City, QLD
Murwillumbah Bray Park
Tweed Heads South
Tweed Heads West